A listing of Clonmel Town Centre streets, and their previous names.

CURRENT NAME

PREVIOUS NAME(S)

O'Neill St New St (1843)
Mary St

Our Ladye Streete (c. 1603-41)
Church Lane (1700's

O'Connell St
  • Named for Daniel O'Connell, the "Emancipator".
Main St (1843)
High St.
Wolfe Tone St
  • Named for Wolfe Tone, patriot
Gordon St (1843
Sarsfield St
  • Named for Patrick Sarsfield, a general in the army which fought William of Orange.

Boate St
Duncan St (1843) to commemorate the victory over the Dutch fleet of Admiral Duncan, Lord Camperdown

Queen St Dispensary St (1843)
Gladstone St
  • Named for William Gladstone, in 1886, British Prime Minister,who did much to relieve the plight of Irish tenants.

Lough St

Breech St (the top end where the Cromwellian breach of the walls happened).

Jail St. (The jail was opposite Peter & Paul's Church).

Johnson St, named in 1798 (to 1886), in compliment toSir Henry Johnson, Colonel of the 5th Foot, who 'defeated the insurgents at Ross'.

Market St Moreton St
Martyr Lane
Fruitmarket (1843)
Meeting House Lane
Mitchel St

Dublin St (1843)
Sheelane St
Hawke St, after British admiral, Edward Hawke

Parnell St
  • Named for Charles Stewart Parnell, in 1886, the "uncrowned King of Ireland". Previously,the local landlords (Bagwells)  had it named after themselves.
Bagwell St (1843-1886)
Jervis Place
Named after an admiral, not so much for his military prowess, as for his support for Catholic Emancipation.
Emmet St
  • Named for Robert Emmet, patriot.
Gaol St (1843)
Emmet St (top part)

New Jail Street Richmond Street (later Place)on the visit of the duke of that name to the town in 1808

Kickham St (oldest part)
  • Named after Charles Kickham
Penitentiary St (1843)
Kickham St ( along by both schools)
  • Named after Charles Kickham
Blind St (1843)
Kickham St (cinema - Gladstone St)
  • Named after Charles Kickham
Charles St (1843)
Staunton Row Always part of Upr. Gladstone Street, even though named after Thomas Staunton. The street dates from around 1820.

CURRENT NAME

PREVIOUS NAME(S)

Albert St (O'Neill St - St Marys Pl.) Borheens (1843)
Albert St (St. Mary's Pl. - Cantwell St) Caher St (1843)
Dillon St/Thomas St Barrack St (1843)
Stephen St.
College Avenue

Duckett St (1843) & later, lower part was renamed  Rivers St

Dr. Croke Place

  • Named after Dr. Croke, who founded the GAA. Previously named after Prince Edward, heir to the throne of England. It was proposed to rename it 'Pearse Place', in 1922, after the Civil War.


Wellington St (part of, in 1843)

Regent's Terrace

Prince Edward's Place

Waterford Rd (road to Gashouse Bridge) Northumberland St (1843)
Abbey St Warren St (1843)
"Dry" Bridge at Old Bridge Goaten Bridge (1843) - the island was then known as Goat Island

Wellington St

Named after the Duke of Wellington, supposedly for his support for Catholic Emancipation rather than his military prowess.

 

 

 Grattan Place

  • Named for Henry Grattan
 Had been part of New St, in 1843. Also named Coronation Row.

Nelson St

  • Named after Lord Nelson, victor at Trafalgar. For a while, streets in Clonmel were named after victorious British naval commanders.
 no previous name
Anglesea St

Banfield's Buildings
Named Anglesea St for the Battle of Anglesey

Davis Row/Road/Avenue

Named for Thomas Davis
Morton St

In 1795, the firm of Thomas and Samuel Morton began the erection of a brewery and stores in Morton Street (long known as Brewery Lane) on a scale equal to the Cork and Dublin breweries.

Bolton St

  • Named after Duke of Bolton
 Weavers Row. Weavers had been brought in from England, and had a thriving business in Clonmel.
Catherine St  
William St  
Peter St
Blind St, because it led to the west wall of the town, but had no exit to the outside.
Emmet St
New Jail St
Richmond St. (after a visit by Duke of Richmond, in 1808).
Duckett St
Named after William Duckett, solicitor, in 1813. He built the street.
Rivers St After Patrick Rivers, who had owned the land on which the street was built.
Colville Road After William Colville, a Corn Merchant, originally from Dublin.