Private Dwellings of Note
Year |
Premises |
Picture |
| 1805 | 3,4 New Quay Among the oldest private dwellings in Clonmel. | |
| 1829 | Newtown Anner House.Thomas Osborne lived here. |
|
| 1820 | Summerhill House |
|
| 1821 | Anne St. commissioned by Charles Riall, the banking family, and built by Thomas and John Tinsley. |
|
| 1833 | Marlfield House.The Bagwell residence.
Around 1784, John Bagwell purchased the lease of Marlfield from its previous owner, Stephen Moore, and carried on extensive corn milling and biscuit making there. The original house was built in 1833. |
|
| 1840 |
Loreto. Originally named Roseville. Owned by the Murray family. It was purchased by the Loreto Order in 1889, from Richard Burke, to be used as a girls school. |
|
| 1842 | Dr. Croke Place. Built by the Grubb family. Some Grubbs lived there. |
|
| Ashbourne. Beside Loreto, on corner. |
|
|
| Merlin, Coleville Rd.strong> The Fayle family home. |
|
|
| Green Park,Coleville Rd. and Parkminster, Coleville Rd. |
|
|
| Greyfort, Coleville Rd. |
|
|
| Little Island House, Old Bridge. | now in ruins. | |
| The Cedars, Suir Island. | now demolished | |
|
Suir Island House. Thomas Grubb lived there. Now demolished. The Grubb family owned Anner Mills, Redmondstown Mills, Manor Mills, Richmond Mills and Suir Island Mills. |
|
|
| 1748 |
Silver Spring House Built around 1748, it was used as a school (a Charter School, to educate Protestants) until 1823, when it closed. Charles Bianconi leased it in 1834 and lived there for a number of years. It was he who named it Silver Spring. Barclay Joseph Clibborn also leased it, subsequently. |
|
| 1850's |
Prior Park House Built around 1850's and originally a girls' boarding school, run by the Quakers. Sold to Benjamin Murphy in 1864 (Clonmel Brewery), then around 1920 to J. F. O'Gorman (Clonmel Coachbuilder). In 1996 it was auctioned and the area is now Redwood Gardens, near to Clonmel Railway station. |
|
|
Rose Ville, Western Rd. Home of Dr. Pat O'Callaghan. REHAB and LIDL are now built on the property. |
now demolished. |
Year |
Premises |
Picture |
| Fairy Hill, Coleville Rd. (River side) |
|
|
| Spring Field, Coleville Rd. (River side) |
|
|
| 1863 | Minella. Malcomson Family lived there. Later became a hotel, owned by the Nallen family. |
|
| Raheen House.Cobden family home. Later owned by Senator Denis E. Burke. |
|
|
| Richmond House, Kickham St. | ||
| Quay House. Now Binchy & Co., Solicitors. |
|
|
| Epworth,Anglesea St., beside SIPTU building (old church). |
|
|
| Knocklofty House. Home to Lord Donoghmore, the Hely-Hutchinson family. |
|
|
| Ballingarrane House. | ||
| Glenconnor House, Gortmalogue. | ||
|
Oaklands,near Patrickswell. Oaklands was built by Simmons Sparrow, a Quaker, the son of a local baker, who had owned a modest mill at "Tubberaheena", opened the huge Suir Island mills, and soon occupied the premier position there. He was succeeded by his son Richard, who died in 1810. |
|
|
| Salisbury, Marlfield village. Gough family home, later Cleeves. | |
|
| Birdhill, Marlfield Rd. | ||
| Haywood House.Riall family lived there. | ||
| Woodrooffe House. Located north of the Clonmel-Cahir Road, more or less opposite Suirhall premises, several hundred metres in from the road. | ||
| Barne House. Situated on northern side of road, at Clonmel side of Barne hamlet. |
|
|
| 1835 |
Melview. Malcomson Family lived there. The Malcomsons owned a Mills on Little Island, beside Hughes Mill. |
|
| Millbrook House. Near Dudley's Mills, Coleville Rd. | ||
| Kilheffernan House, near the junction with the Kilkenny Road, 3-4 miles east of Clonmel. |
|
|
| Bruce Villa, beside Melview. Binchy family now. | ||
| 1820's |
Oakville House. Original owner was Henry Pedder, a lawyer. Later was home of the Hemphill family, and later again, home of Judge Troy. Now site of Dunnes Stores at Oakville. |
now demolished. Was not named for its oak trees (they were chestnuts, I believe), but for the quality oak fittings within the house. |
| Bellvue. |
